According to NSW Premier Mike Baird, the Westmead Hospital is the biggest hospital redevelopment in the country and that it is much more than just a hospital.
According to NSW Premier Mike Baird, the Westmead Hospital is the biggest hospital redevelopment in the country and that it is much more than just a hospital. "What we’re creating here is what I strongly believe to be the best health city in the country and one of the best in the world. This redevelopment is a game changer for western Sydney and NSW and will boast the largest concentration of biomedical, scientific and healthcare-focused minds in the nation", said Mr Baird.
On a daily basis, over 12,000 people both visit and work at the hospital precinct, thus consultation with clinicians, staff and community members has been a major element in the development of the facility design.
An estimate of $900 million has been divided into the following stages of the project:
- Stage 1 with a funding of $750 million including the acute services building, new operating theatres, more inpatient beds and a brand new emergency department
- $95 million has been allocated for the development of the Children’s hospital at Westmead
- $72 million has been allocated to a six-storey, 1,250 space carpark facility with an expected completion year of mid-2017 that will increase campus capacity to more than 5,400.
In recent news almost $100 million will be allocated to the redevelopment in the State Budget in June 2016.
The early works program includes clearing the footprint for the major new hospital building as well as demolition, roadworks, internal support service expansions and a critical upgrade of power, water, gas and other essential services to secure our infrastructure needs in the future. Electrical upgrades are now underway to increase the reliability and capacity of the electrical supply for existing buildings and future developments on the precinct.
With reference to the Westmead Community Fact Sheet (June, 2016), the Westmead precinct is known to have one of the largest concentrations of biomedical, scientific and health-care focused minds in Australia and it will continue to attract staff, students, residents, researchers and visitors from all over the world. By 2036, the workforce at Westmead is expected to increase from 12,000 to 25,000 and the number of students is expected to grow from less than 2,000 to 6,000.
Currently in planning:
- Acute admissions
- Operating theatres
- Cardiac Comprehensive Care Centre
- Surgical wards
- Medical imaging
- Sterilizing services
- Clinical & Central Support
The new hospital building also includes a new main entry and transit lounge for patients to wait in comfort when they are leaving hospital after treatment.
The Westmead Hospital refurbishment program includes:
- Expanded Ambulatory Care
- Aged Care
- Intensive Care
The new hospital building is set to be completed in 2020.
For more updates and to review tender opportunities for the Westmead Hospital Redevelopment, register with Australian Tenders.
- $900 million redevelopment of Westmead Hospital Precinct, $100 million allocated in June 2016 from the State Budget.
- 1,000 construction workers will be employed on-site each day, with Stage 1 currently in process.
- The redevelopment project is set to create 1,000 more jobs each year.